Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

In Memoriam: an ode

            Last week, there was an article in my local newspaper.  Cursive writing is being removed from our public education system in order to make room for everything future generations need to learn to pass state tests.  So, maybe they’ll pass the tests, but what will this do for their futures?  How will they be able to sign for a package or cash a check?  Having already learned the artistic trade of cursive, I can honestly say that I have benefited greatly from learning this “formal style of writing.”  It is a tool, a reference point, a staple to my everyday life, and I’m sad to see it go.  In light of this recent tragedy, I’ve put together a little ode in honor of this old friend of mine.

Cursive writing:
‘Tis me, old friend, saying goodbye.
Your end – it’s so biting

like the frosty chill of winter
or the stab of a freshly sharpened pencil;
your death can only hinder.

We had so much fun, you and I.
From the little loops here to
the slants there, we thrived.

My black inked pen always raced
across the page – left to right –  
and my thoughts held on with the same speedy pace.

My wrist is strong now, thanks to you;
I wiggle my fingers in fine movements,
but trust me when I say it’s not out of the blue.

I practiced and learned all the loopty-loops;
I turned my paper,
and now my handwriting’s slanted, not soup.

But above all else, I can sign my name
on the dotted line or
that paper check, and it’s always the same.

You take the stage in my education,
providing me with increased critical thinking,
comprehension, and participation.

Because of you I have a chance.
As for the rest – you’ve been banished,
And they’re left in a useless trance.

2 comments:

  1. I love this!!!! And I didn't read the article but are they also deleting the requirement for students to write the integrity statement on the SAT in cursive? As a proctor of the SAT I can honestly say that kids were ridiculous complainers about having to write anything in cursive. A sad day for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write almost exclusively in cursive on the board. No one will know what to do!

    ReplyDelete